Wow. So that was unexpected.
So I started reading my emails from bottom to top, and I first saw the slideshow mom made of Sprungli. So I was like Oh, that's nice. And I look through the pictures, and get to the bottom and realized Oh, mom made this slideshow for a reason. And I turned to Elder Barrett and said, "So... my dog died."
But like I said-- unexpected. And I'm sure it was the same back at home. Y'all were probably wondering if all that was really happening, huh?
But yeah, then I read dad's email and found myself crying. Which was kind of unexpected as well. And now as I think back, I realized that Sprungli was pretty much everything in a dog anyone could ask for. Maybe if I'm lucky in the future I'll have as good a dog as he was =]
But all is well. We'll see Düngus again! =]
So things, as before, are still going well. People have eased into their schedules a little more this week, so we'll probably be able to find a few more people that are interested and willing to meet (last week was a little tough because it seems like no-one had their schedule set).
Oh, we got Sisters again here at UGA. Sister Coleman is back (she was here in the spring when I was with Elder Williams), along with Sister Teisina (she's Tongan, and lived in Hawaii for most of her life).
Kim is doing great. We originally planned on her baptism being this Friday, but she wants to have her family there, so we're going to have it next Saturday. Awesome.
We had 4 investigators at church on Sunday. Kim, Robb, Kristine and Kevin. Kristine's back at UGA from last spring (she's the one on the Dance Dawgs. She's from Utah, her boyfriend is serving a mission in Italy), and she's planning on coming to church all the time. Which is great.
Kevin is a friend of one of the members in our branch, and he was able to come to sacrament meeting for the first time, and it seems like he really enjoyed it. So that's good!
Yeah, there's really not much more to report. I'll keep y'all updated with our upcoming baptisms =]
Tell Blake I say hi. I'm sure we'll be seeing each other at BYU in the future (I'm pretty sure we've got the same major...)
Love!
Elder McGregor!
Bryon's email to Trenton:
It’s with heavy hearts that we are writing to tell you that Sprüngli passed away this weekend. He started to get sick earlier in the week. We had just returned from our trip to Utah and he was glad to see us. He started vomiting around the middle of last week. Since this happens periodically with him we didn’t think too much about it. Still, he seemed perky and wasn’t acting unusual. Friday we woke up to vomit but this time there wasn’t any food, just loads of bile. He began to quickly deteriorate throughout the day and by evening, he was withdrawn and unresponsive to food or water. We took him to the vet Saturday morning. I had to carry him because he didn’t have the strength to walk. He was so light. Inside the hospital they immediately placed him in emergency care to give him intravenous feeding and to perform an ultrasound. We spoke w/ the doctor in the afternoon and she said the results were serious. Because the ultrasound was inconclusive due to the swelling in his liver and surrounding organs, Dr. Daphne said they would need to begin exploratory surgery immediately and that they wouldn’t know if they could save him. They were unable to provide a prognosis.
We held a family prayer and called Katie, Kelsey and Jordan and asked them to pray for Sprüngli and us and that we would know if we should approve of the surgery or have him put to sleep. After many tears and prayers, we asked if we could see him and make the determination at the hospital. When we saw him, he stood briefly as if he were saying, “you’re here, let’s go home.” But then he laid back down not having the strength. It was then that we were able to accept the promptings we had been feeling that it was time for Sprüngli to return home to God. The doctor and nurses were wonderful and let us spend some time with him in a private patio area. After we said our goodbyes and gave him loves and kisses, the doctor gave him a sedative that put him to sleep and then stopped his heart. We took his body home and buried him in our yard near the field. We wrapped his body in a clean white sheet and after laying him in the grave we had a dedicatory prayer. The Spirit was sweet and our feelings tender. We are truly grateful to a loving Heavenly Father that allowed this loving, good and faithful friend into our home to be part of our lives. He taught us well through his example what it means to love, to forgive, and to be joyful in our service. We are told in the scriptures that all animals are saved, having fulfilled the purpose of their creation. I like to think that Sprüngli did that and more.
It’s been a difficult couple of days. The house feels empty. We see signs of Sprüngli like his bed or a chew toy and we begin to weep. When the doorbell rings, there’s only silence that follows. To hear the jingle of his collar tags when mom pulled them from her purse was heartbreaking. When we sit at the couch, he’s not there to pet or to run your fingers through his lovely fur. When we came home from church today, there was no one there to joyfully greet us.
We miss him dearly but know that he is in the best of hands, those of his creator. We like to think that Alllen was there to greet him. We recognize God’s loving hand in our lives and in Sprüngli’s as well. Before we left for Utah, we felt that I should give him a blessing. I laid my hands on his head and blessed him that he would be at peace while we were away and that he would be kept safe from harm. Morgan watched him while we were away and walked him twice daily. In hindsight, we believe God answered our prayer and kept him safe while we were away and preserved his life until we could be home with him.
I know this must be difficult to read and I’m sorry Dünga won’t be here to greet you when you come home. I wish we could be with you to give you comfort now in your feelings of sorrow and loss. You are in our prayers and we know that God will be there for you in our absence. Mom has posted some pictures of Sprüngli and the family and she sent you the details.
We love you and hope despite this sad news that you will find joy in your service. We are thankful for your loving efforts to share the glad message of the gospel of Christ. Our testimonies are strengthened, even in times of sorrow, by the knowledge that we will be together again someday. We look forward to seeing you soon. Please give our best to your companion and the people you are teaching. Please let us know how you are doing and how your week went.
No comments:
Post a Comment