Friday, November 11, 2011

New companion and an apartment closer to the Brazilian members; a Feijoada; Halloween bowling; and re-setting Jucy's baptism date

10/24/11
Dear Family!
Wow, it was good to hear from all of you [except Katie... I guess I'll have to send her her own letter  : ) ] It's good to hear everything is going well.

Things are going well here in Clear Springs.  Some things I can't remember if I told y'all...  I have a new companion, Elder Vergara.  His family is from Mexico and he was born and raised in Texas.  He speaks fluent Spanish and so he was transferred here to learn Portuguese.  And I was assigned to teach him - awesome  : ) He's learning very quickly to the point where he gave a talk yesterday in Sacrament Meeting (we all did). Just as a point of reference, we're starting week 4 of this transfer (of 6 weeks).  So it's me, Elder Vergara, Elder Campbell and Elder Waters (Elder Goodman was transferred English-speaking).

Other news:  we moved to a new apartment here @ Delk Road.  It's bigger, cheaper and closer to all the Brazilians here (walking distance).  Unfortunately Delk is still yielding little success, so we're trying to do much more member missionary work.  Which can be tough as well because they all live pretty far away...  But it's been going well.  Saturday we had a branch activity called a Feijoada, which is a style of cooking where you cook the meat inside the bean mixture - it's delicious.  And it was awesome.  The Relief Society went all out - it looked like a wedding reception with all the tables decorated and the catering trays with the little tin heater thingies...  And then they put numbers under everyone's seats and gave out prizes.  It was great.  There were two families that came that weren't members, and they both loved it.  One family is especially good, and we're going to try and meet with them one of these days (they live kind of far away as well, but we'll make it work).

10/31/11
Today's Halloween!  No dressing up even though it's P-Day.  We're not allowed out after 6PM unless we have appointments, so it's kind of an all day thing.  So we went bowling!  Woohoo!  I didn't do so hot.  I couldn't seem to get any strikes, although I did a pretty fair job getting spares.  Highest game: 123.  Luckily no one else did very well either, ha.

So kinda sad news:  Jucy, our investigator who was scheduled for baptism on Sunday, called us Friday saying, "I don't think I'm going to go to church anymore..."  : (  We found out yesterday (Sunday) that it was an over-reaction on her part because she still wants to be baptized; she was just feeling pressured.  Even though we didn't even get to teach her the whole week leading up to her baptism.  So we're going to get back with her and have her choose the date she wants to be baptized.  That way, we feel, she won't feel pressured because it was her decision.

Hope everything's well at home -- I'm still truckin' along out here.  There's nothing I'm really in need of at the moment.  I know y'all pray for me and I appreciate that.

Love y'all bunches.  Look forward to seeing y'all soon-ish.  (Christmas -- holy cow!)

Love,
Elder McGregor

No comments: