Monday, March 21, 2011

Fatima was baptized; Spring break tracting, service and exchanges; Southern food; and Abinadi

So this week we got some "extra" news about Elder McGregor. I emailed my cousin's daughter, who is finishing up her PhD at UGA and told her Trent is a missionary on the campus there and had she ever noticed missionaries on campus before, etc. Last Wednesday I got this message from her:


Guess what? I just ran into Trent tonight. My mom was visiting me, and we were walking on campus and he was walking across the street from us. We talked with him for a while. He looks GREAT.


You'll see that he also writes about it in his letter below. So that was kind of fun and then we also got this message from our friend who is the High Councilman working with the Paper Mill Portuguese Group:


Wanted to let you know that Fatima was baptized today. This was the single mom that Trent found and was really hard to get out to church - he never gave up - and it was worth it. Attached is a photo of her at her baptism.


Elder Emmett and Fatima
Very fun to get those two messages, and I forwarded the news to E McGregor.

Here's his email to us today:

Hey Fam,
Wow, I'm so glad. I knew she had a baptismal date for Sunday, but no one was able to let me know if she actually was successfully baptized or not. So that's really good to know. I know she wanted me to confirm her, so maybe I'll be back in Paper Mill for next Sunday once again =]

Well, sounds like it was a lot of fun for you guys (our 'new' ward had a western-themed social that was very fun.  Bryon was the Emcee). It'll be fun to go to ward activities when I get back and not have to constantly be worrying about investigators and rides and fellowshippers and all that. I think that'll be one of the things I'll enjoy post-mission--much much less stress.

Yeah, not a particularly exciting Saint Patty's Day for us at UGA (I told him we had our elders over for dinner on St Patrick's Day and the Irish / green food we had...). I'll tell you this-- campus was a ghost town during spring break. It was quite an interesting experience. We did some tracting in off-campus housing, we did a TON of service, and we did an exchange with the zone leaders in their area to keep busy. But it'll be back to having too much to do and not enough time to do it this week! Woohoo! (again, I'm not sure I've ever been so excited about being stressed. But then, it was really stressful not having all that much to do. And I definitely prefer the former).

Yeah, our dinner appts are with the students. Sometimes they really are little more than what I ate in college. We had a dinner 2 weeks ago where I don't think I've eaten so little in all my life. Good news is I'm losing some of that weight I've put on. I guess not eating will do that ;) I don't think my stomach's quite shrunk as of yet (from eating all that ton of food as a portuguese-speaking missionary)...

Yeah, we were walking down the street and two ladies on the other side kind of yell to us as we're walking. We look over and they're like, "Do either of you know Elder McGregor?" and I was like, "Yeah, I know him!" So we ran over there and chatted with them. It was great.

Did you get your new ATM card?  I sent it over a week ago, I think.
Yep, I got it =] Activated and everything.

Does the Institute have a great missionary couple like the Rounds?
Um, we have like, a secretary, Sister Johnson. She's pretty awesome.

Do you have an English name tag now?
Ha. Um, no, and I haven't really ordered one. I guess I should. But sometimes it's actually a really good point of conversation with the UGA students, so we'll see.

How was your week?
Great week. We did a lot of service for a less active member in one of the family wards, and one of the less active branch members that lives with that family. And he actually seems to be turning around pretty well. We found some new investigators while tracting, and I got a flat tire =] Lots of fun =]

What was one of your most interesting experiences?
We taught a guy named Rusahl (Russel). Definitely one of the most unique experiences on my mission, and it's sad I don't have time to recount the experience. But tell you what--I'll record a tape and send it to you guys and I'm sure you'll enjoy that =]

Have you had a chance to have a real southern vittles – grits, collard greens, etc.?
Yep. No grits yet, but collared greens are gross. Coleslaw is also nasty. But I usually eat a little bit anyway just to prove I can handle variety and to avoid any imminent heckling =]  
(I love that he put "collared" greens - aren't you just picturing little greens with collars on them? Kind of like Veggie Tales : )

Anything we can get/do for you?
Actually, now that I think about it, I need some more tapes. The little handheld recorder ones. They sell them at Fry's (and probably Best Buy). And maybe a box of Wheat Thins. That'd be nice ;)
(This makes me wonder if they don't have Wheat Thins back there or if they're too expensive for their budget or what...)

How goes the work with the NFL pro? BTW, there’s a “I’m a Mormon” video of Rob Morris - former NFL pro who played for the Colts – your “mystery” investigator might enjoy it.
He was gone over spring break, so hopefully we'll be able to get in contact with him this week. I'll let you know!

Well, thought I'd add this: As you guys may or may not know, we're doing a mission-wide reading of the Book of Mormon, to be finished before the Temple Dedication. We're marking 6 things (and the color's I'm personally using):
1. Christ's Name (red)
2. His attributes (light blue)
3. His words (orange)
4. Doctrines (dark blue)
5. Principles (green)
6. Applications (yellow)

Just finished Abinadi today, and I'm just as impressed as ever with him. Interesting thought: Who ever said Abinadi was an old man? I know Arnold Friberg painted him that way, but he may not have been much older than me =] Especially considering the pattern of the Lord's prophets being so young...

Well, love you all! Have a great week! I'll be on for a bit longer, so you can shoot me something quick if you like!

Elder McGregor

No comments: