Monday, March 7, 2011

Transfer to Athens University Branch at UGA; a great companion, Karen's confirmation, and "it's almost as if there were someone directing it all..."

We didn't hear from Elder McGregor this morning and so assumed that he may not be emailing (in Brazil he missed every time he was transferred).  Then we received this email at 2:30 (5:30pm Eastern), so apparently he squeezed us in right before his P-Day ended:


Hello Family!!!

How are you guys? Sounds like everyone's doing great from your email.

So are you guys ready?

I was transferred to the University of Georgia Campus in Athens, Georgia! CRAZY. Yep, I'm literally walking around a college campus doing missionary work. There's a branch here in the UGA campus called the Athens University Branch. But it's awesome here! We do contacts all day, every day. Yeah, we walk around campus and talk to college students about the gospel. On Thursdays we have a booth that we set up and talk some more about the gospel. We try and set up return appointments with all the people we talk to, and we'll usually teach them at the Institute building. As of right now, we have no investigators because they've all been dropped, but we're working furiously to find those who are ready to hear our message =] But I'll tell you what, there sure are some benefits to going on a stateside mission. I never expected to have any sort of experience like this on my mission.

My new comp is Elder Williams, from San Diego, CA. He's been on his mission for about 4 months, and he's a rock star. He loves doing missionary work, and he's great to be around.

So yeah, perhaps no more Portuguese. I haven't given up--apparently there are a few (and I mean a few) Brazilians who go to UGA, so we'll see if we can find them.

Well, the apartment's great. Nice and clean. We share it with Elders working in the Athens 1st ward, Elder Jackson (Elder Samuel Jackson, I'll have you know), and Elder Anderson.

To answer Mom: No, Elder Emmett did not get his visa. Although I received news today that Elder Gneiting did. So good for him, huh? =]

Let's see, on Sunday we made an exchange and I went back to Paper Mill for Sacrament Meeting to do Karen's confirmation. She was baptized on Saturday, and she asked me to do the confirmation, and Pres. King approved. So off I went, back to Paper Mill for a visit. The confirmation went great. Oh, btw, the english Elders both got transferred out of Paper Mill and Sisters were "white-washed (they went in without any prior knowledge of the area)" in. So that's exciting, and Karen, although apprehensive about the Elders' leaving, turns out to love the Sisters. So it all worked out perfectly. Almost as if there were someone directing it all... ;)

Well, I love you all! I know the church is true! ;)

Elder McGregor


We also got this note from our friend, the high councilman working with the Paper Mill Portuguese-speaking group:
Trent was transferred on Wednesday - he is now working at the University of Georgia in a student branch. I had the opportunity to see him today (Sunday) since he was allowed to come back to confirm a woman he taught who was baptized yesterday.

I know that he is sad to not be serving in the Portuguese group, but he also sounded excited to be working in completely different circumstances with young adults that are pondering significant questions about their being and future. He looked good.

I'm sorry he won't be around our area any more, but will keep him in our prayers.



                                Red - Georgia Atlanta North Mission Office
                                Pink - Paper Mill Ward Building
                                Blue - Paper Mill Ward elders' apartment
                                Green - University of Georgia Athens

No comments: