Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Back in Paper Mill, now the Clear Springs Branch!; picked Portuguese right back up; and an update on UGA investigators

Dear Family;

How's it going?  Things are great here.

So I've got some crazy news – I've been transferred back to Paper Mill!  Woohoo!  It's now the Clear Springs Branch (Portuguese-speaking branch), and I'm here with Elders Goodman, Waters, and Campbell.  Pretty exciting.  It's great to be back Portuguese-speaking.  I was worried for a little that my language would have become rusty, but no difficulties – picked it right back up again.  Awesome.

So we were supposed to have a baptism last week with Kim, and we tried to help her feel good about it throughout the week.  She passed the interview on Thursday and everything.  Friday night (day before her baptism) she let us know she wasn't feeling ready and wanted to postpone her date. So we talked for a long time and ultimately decided to push it back two weeks.  And she came to church Sunday.  So she's still on track and everything.  Awesome.

We also had Stephen at church.  He dated a member for two years and decided he wanted to investigate the church.  He's taking an institute class, reading from the Book of Mormon, praying, all that good stuff.  I'm sure he'll be baptized soon  : )

Robb also came to church.  Hopefully he'll make the decision soon to be baptized.  I still wonder what it is exactly that's been holding him back.  He says he hasn't gotten an answer yet, although we know he's felt the Spirit in church, when we're teaching him, etc.  I'm pretty sure it'll happen eventually.  In the meantime, I'll keep praying for him.

So yeah, back in Paper Mill!  Awesome!  But of course we're no longer "Paper Mill Portuguese," but the Clear Springs Branch.  President Tedjamulia, or Pres. Tedj for short, is branch president and he's awesome.  We don't have any perspective baptisms  yet, but we're working hard -- there are a couple of people we want to set dates with soon.  There have been a good number of people coming to church too -- which is great.  It's an important step before baptism (gotta be familiar with the church your joining).

I've been able to visit with a couple of people who have gone less active since I was here last.  Karen, Heather, Fatima, & Lucca seem to have struggled a bit since their baptisms. It's been great to see them again, and hopefully we can get them re-activated.

Then he talks about which classes he'd like to take Winter Semester and what level of Portuguese classes to start in, etc.  (we have to register for him, so I sent him his options and he's getting back to us on his preferences).

Well, love you all lots!  Hope everything is going well!  I enjoy hearing all the fun news about home every week -- the ward, Dad's work - all that.

Love!

Elder Trenton McGregor

No comments: