Okay, so this week in our letters we asked Trent if he'd received his package and NOT opened the portion for Easter until it was actually Easter. We told him we'd ordered some (larger) slacks and had them sent straight there; that we took a road trip to Utah for Spring Break, listening to books on CD while driving.
Hey family!
Yep, got my package. And I DIDN'T open the Easter portion until yesterday! No giving in to the natural man here, thank you very much! ;)
I'm excited about the slacks. I'll let you know how they fit and all that.
Sounds like y'all had a party in Utah. And I'm glad to hear everyone's doing well.
Boy, The Mouse and the Motorcycle! That brings back some old memories... I remember listening to that all the time on car trips.
Let's see. So maybe y'all know this (or maybe I haven't told you), but we do a booth on Thursday mornings at the Student Center. We recently remade our booth prop to say:
Did you know
that Jesus has
a website?
And there are commonly preachers that get up and condemn everyone at the stage in the plaza outside of the student center. One of the preachers sees our poster, comes up to us and says, "Y'all need to repent! Under whose authority can you say that THAT is Jesus's website?" And Elder Williams, without skipping a beat, responds, "His." Awesome.
Later that week we were headed to an appointment and got ambushed outside the student center by a coalition of students belonging to an unnamed denomination of Christianity. I don't think I've ever had to defend my beliefs quite so boldly in my life. Again, awesome.
But things are going well here. Not too much to report... everyone's progressing. Slowly. But surely.
Oh, but we did perform at the Branch Talent show. Elder Williams and I did a funny missionary story skit, (Mom, I told your story about telling the taxi driver in Ecuador that y'all were Jehovah's Witnesses. Dad, I used your cow fattener story). And everyone loved it. And then we got one of our investigators (Robb, the one that's really good at ping-pong) to do a remix of Book of Mormon Stories with us. And everyone loved that too. So that was a success. And Robb also went to the temple. This was his comment to us, via text: "The temple was intricately designed and furnished. The chandeliers were lit up like christmas trees." So funny. Robb's such a fun character; he's really a guy you just have to meet to understand what he's like.
But, again, I hope everything's well at home! Love y'all!
Elder McGregor
His stories in the talent show:
My (Sandra's) first week in Ecuador we were taking some long-ish trips by taxi and my comp and I decided to give a Book of Mormon to every taxi driver. So I'm sitting in the front seat and explaining the book to a driver and he asks, "¿Son Testigos de Jehovah?," which means, "Are you Testifiers of Christ?" or at least that's the way I translated it in my mind. So I said, "¡Si!" And from the back seat my companion said, "¡No!" I couldn't believe she was saying we weren't, so I said again that yes, we were, and she again said we weren't, which was pretty annoying, don't you think? Well, really what he'd asked is if we were Jehovah's Witnesses, which of course, we weren't. So my trainer really did know what she was talking about... ; )
My (Sandra's) first week in Ecuador we were taking some long-ish trips by taxi and my comp and I decided to give a Book of Mormon to every taxi driver. So I'm sitting in the front seat and explaining the book to a driver and he asks, "¿Son Testigos de Jehovah?," which means, "Are you Testifiers of Christ?" or at least that's the way I translated it in my mind. So I said, "¡Si!" And from the back seat my companion said, "¡No!" I couldn't believe she was saying we weren't, so I said again that yes, we were, and she again said we weren't, which was pretty annoying, don't you think? Well, really what he'd asked is if we were Jehovah's Witnesses, which of course, we weren't. So my trainer really did know what she was talking about... ; )
And Bryon's story, oh boy. Okay, so Japan was a very expensive mission and Bryon and I served in the days before every missionary paid the same each month. (ie -Ecuador was relatively cheap; Japan was expensive and each missionary paid the cost of their particular mission). So in Japan they ate cracked wheat every morning, because it was nutritious and inexpensive. Bryon has told us that if he never eats another bowl of cracked wheat again it would be too soon. Anyway, the missionaries would actually get huge bags of it from the mission home. One pair of missionaries picked up a new bag and within a week had gained a ton of weight. Within two weeks they could barely fit in their slacks... It was weird, because they said they were gaining so quickly that they were now only eating breakfast (you know, since it's the most important meal of the day...). They had called the office to tell them what was going on and a member who happened to be there looked at the bags of cracked wheat and started laughing. The bags were really cattle food, which they knew, but the bags they'd most recently picked up... had cattle fattener in them!!! Man, that would be so maddening, wouldn't it!? To get fat eating cracked wheat. Those poor elders!
A local minister campus preaching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fweQ8k4abic&feature=player_embedded
A local minister campus preaching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fweQ8k4abic&feature=player_embedded
No comments:
Post a Comment